Sunday 27 October 2013

APPLE CHUTNEY


I didn't get a massive amount of apples in the garden this year. My poor tree only produced a total of 11 apples, and two apples were lost to Bo once she realised that apples are toys you can eat once you're done playing with them. I'm not entirely sure why there was such a bad apple harvest, considering a few years ago there were so many apples my mom managed to fill half the basement with jars of apple jelly, and considering the plum tree was full this year. I was determined to make something out of the apples though, so I bought a couple of extras and decided to turn my tiny little harvest into chutney.

This chutney is both quick and simple to make, and it'll make your whole house smell delicious. It'll mature and the flavours will develop in the jars, and will last up to a year in the sealed jars. Though obviously if you want some straight away, I wouldn't hold it against you.



Apple chutney recipe (makes about 1 kg of chutney):
1 kg cooking apples
1 large onion
250 g raisins
250 g sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp nutmeg
500 g cider vinegar



Directions: 
Peel and core apples, and cut into chunks. Finely chop the onion. Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer for half an hour until thick. Transfer to sterilized jars, and seal.

Apple chutney works great with a pork roast, or even just with some cheese on toast or crisp bread. Cheesy toast and chutney is always a winner.


2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm that looks delicious! :)

    /Cindi

    http://cherriesandsunflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This sounds so tasty. I love a good chutney!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete